W8PU, Poland, Gary

A little information regarding my Paraset project. The inspiration to tackle this project came from having read the book “Two Eggs on My Plate”, recommended a few years ago by Farrell Winder W8ZCF, and more recently “The Paraset Radio” by Hiroki Kato. Probably the deciding factor to actually build a replica came from visiting The Paraset Warehouse and the ability to purchase a pre-punched panel and a few other hard to find parts. Also the reference material provided there, is priceless. If it wasn’t for the panel, I probably wouldn’t have built my Paraset.
   I wasn’t out to make an exact replica, my intention was to have the outside appear as authentic as possible but use newer parts such as the resistors and capacitors. I also didn’t want to incorporate any modifications, but stay true to the original design.
  Here are a few more photos with details about a few of the parts used

The coils were the first items built. The phenolic tubing was purchased online. Details for their
construction came from various sources online as well. The DCC wire was previously purchased
from Ebay for a few other projects I have built ( check out my W8PU QRZ page ).

While waiting for the panel and other parts I ordered from the Paraset Warehouse, I ordered
most of the remaining parts I needed, like the tube sockets, 20K pot, reduction drive, lamp sockets,
and 100pf variables. The power switch and terminal strips I already had on hand. The key is home brewed.

Major components on top side.

The 1/8 X 1/4 inch rivets and punch, I purchased.

Finding knobs that closely matched the originals were a challenge.
I was lucky enough to find these NOS knobs on Ebay that seemed close enough.

I was very fortunate to have found the reduction drive. The main tuning knob and shaft bushing I already

I was unable to locate a key knob of the correct size to fit so I turned one from hardwood using my drill press and files.

The choke is a 60H Hammond 155C. I fashioned the terminal board from a piece of phenolic and riveted on terminals.
The mounting bracket for the choke was fashioned from aluminum.

Most components mounted.

The set is ready. The output is a little over 4 watts on both 80 and 40 meters. The receiver tuning range is approximately 3 to 8 mhz, I had to remove a few windings to get there. I went through a few #47 bulbs before I realized my tank pic-up loop was too close to the main tank coil and instantly blowing the bulbs.

 It’s been a fun project and I have made several contacts with it so far. I would have rather made the cash box version but there is no way I could have made the metal box. Next I want to build a dedicated power supply and I will eventually try and locate a small ” old ” suitcase to house everything.

2021, April 21,
Gary Poland, W8PU
Midland, Ohio

2021, May 11. Latest pics of the Paraset. I replaced the pine box with oak and built a matching power supply. Now to see if I can stuff it all into a small suitcase I have HI HI.